Five Easy & Effective Rodent Prevention Tips For Phoenix Homeowners
January 15, 2021
Have you ever thought to yourself, “man, my home could use a rodent infestation”? Most definitely not. If anything, you are thinking of ways to keep these pests out of your Phoenix home. Lucky for you, we are in the business of helping homeowners protect their properties against rodent invasion. To guard your home against annoying, dangerous, and destructive rodents, here are five easy & effective prevention tips you should try.
What You Need To Know About Rodents
You might already know a bit about rodents. Unfortunately, a bit of information isn’t enough to properly keep these pests out of your home. Here are a few basic facts you should know to help you better understand rodents and the problems they pose around properties.
Rodents are dangerous: All rodents can carry disease. Rodents that invade homes such as mice and rats are more likely to transmit disease-causing organisms. These filthy pests spend a lot of time around trash, sewers, and other bacteria-laden areas. Inside homes, mice and rats spread this bacteria that could get you very sick over countertops, in the back of pantries, and onto food.
Rodents are dexterous: All rodents are pretty quick on their feet; however, certain species such as squirrels and roof rats can jump far distances and climb vertical surfaces. They use this mobility to get onto homes and get inside from higher up.
Rodents are not dumb: Rodents, and especially rats and mice, are known for their intelligence. Able to solve intricate problems and adapt to their environments, these pests avoid danger around homes. One unique way they do this is by learning how traps work and finding creative ways to prevent or set them off to not get hurt.
Rodents are destructive: All rodents are born with sharp and robust front incisor teeth. These teeth grow continuously and become uncomfortable when not filed down. To file them down, rodents like mice and rats chew on things throughout homes, including drywall, wooden frames, furniture, utility piping, aluminum sheets, electrical wires, and other essential fixtures/decorations.
Prevention Tips For Rodents
Rodents are complicated creatures that invade homes for many reasons. To get ahead of these pests and prevent them before they find their way inside, here are five easy & practical tips to try around your Phoenix home and property.
- Seal your home’s exterior: Use a caulking gun to fill in gaps and cracks in your home’s exterior foundation, make sure all of your screens are in good working order, install metal screens over out spouts and vents leading out of your home, and make sure all of your exterior doors have door sweeps.
- Store food where rodents can’t get to it: Repackage food stored in cardboard/plastic containers into airtight ones, pack away leftovers after every meal, and clean out your pet’s food and water bowls after every meal.
- Address moisture issues around your home: Fix leaky piping and fixtures, eliminate sources of standing water, and address issues with your home’s gutters.
- Eliminate places rodents might hide: Remove clutter and debris from your yard, store firewood and building materials at least 30 feet from your home’s exterior, and organize storage areas in and around your home.
- Invest in professional rodent control: We recommend hiring the experts at Arizona’s Exterminator Company. They are considered by many to be your best local option for high-quality rodent control services.
Contact our team today to further discuss your rodent control options and find a service plan that will solve your home’s pest problems.